Dental Exams and Cleanings
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your Lakewood dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions. Bitewing x-rays of the top and bottom molars will be done annually while a full mouth series of x-rays will performed once every 3 to 5 years.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Occlusal Examination: Check to make sure there is not excessive wear on your teeth. Ensure your bite comes together in harmony with your muscles and Tempomandibular Joint (TMJ)
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. These bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Removes stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling
- Fluoride treatment: Fluoride is the most effective agent available to help prevent tooth decay.
- Oral Hygiene Instructions; Customized brushing and flossing tailored to your dental health needs.
Remember, your smile speaks before you even say a word!
What Patients are Saying
I was in for a cleaning with Kelly. She was awesome, as always! I can’t say enough good things about Northstar; they always do a great job.
Another visit on 7/28 was again totally AOK. Dr. Adler and Jennifer were very efficient and very thorough, as was Connie in checking me out. Thanks good folks.
Always a positive experience. Dr. Adler is fantastic. Have been very satisfied here for over 10 years. Customer service is spot on. I highly recommend them.