Cracked Filling or Tooth
Cracking a tooth or filling may be easier than you think.
It can happen from chewing on hard objects or foods like ice, nuts or hard candy. Accidents can cause a cracked tooth, especially those involving a blow to the mouth. Tooth-grinding or clenching or having uneven chewing pressure can lead to a cracked tooth. Tooth structure wears down over time and large fillings or other restorations can result in a crack. Finally, you can crack a tooth by exposing tooth enamel to extreme hot and cold, such as when you eat hot food followed by drinking ice water.
The result of any of these events is often painful and can lead to further oral disease.
First, how do you know if your tooth is cracked? Look for these signs:
- You have sharp pain when biting down that quickly disappears.
- You have pain that comes and goes but does not hurt all the time.
- You feel pain when eating or drinking.
- You may have no pain at all.
Cracks are sometimes invisible to the eye and don’t always show up on dental X-rays. By noting a couple of things, you can help us identify the problem:
- Take note of the things that cause you pain, such as heat or cold, or eating foods that are sweet, or biting pain .
- Try to determine the area of the pain.
Treating a cracked tooth depends on the size and location of the crack and the symptoms you are experiencing. At our office, we will discuss which treatment is best. If you are experiencing localized pain, avoid chewing on that side of your mouth and call your dentist.
If we recommend treatment, that could include:
- Repairing the tooth with a filling material.
- Placing a crown to protect the tooth from further damage. Con possibly be completed in 1 day using our Cerec (digital scan technology).
- Endodontic (root canal) treatment if pulp is involved.
- Extracting the tooth if it is severely cracked and cannot be saved.
A cracked tooth can become a bigger problem if left untreated. If you think you may have a cracked tooth please call us immediately.
Remember, your smile speaks before you even say a word!
What Patients are Saying
I was in for a cleaning with Kelly. She was awesome, as always! I can’t say enough good things about Northstar; they always do a great job.
Another visit on 7/28 was again totally AOK. Dr. Adler and Jennifer were very efficient and very thorough, as was Connie in checking me out. Thanks good folks.
Always a positive experience. Dr. Adler is fantastic. Have been very satisfied here for over 10 years. Customer service is spot on. I highly recommend them.